St Anthony of Padua Curriculum Statement
Growing Together Following Jesus
At St Anthony of Padua, we believe that children should develop a love of learning through the provision of a bespoke, knowledge-based curriculum and through consistently high-quality teaching.
We aim to:
- Develop a life-long love of reading (beginning with high quality phonics sessions) so that our children are confident, articulate and effective communicators
- Place the gospel teachings of Jesus Christ at the heart of all that we do
- Build a rich knowledge of subject specific vocabulary
- Ensure that our children know and remember more and make connections between their learning
- Ensure that our children acquire and develop disciplinary knowledge that is specific to the subjects that they study e.g. geographer, scientist
- Provide children with wider enrichment experiences which will enhance and further develop the academic subjects e.g. visits, residentials, sport and the arts
- We use the DFE approved Systematic Synthetic Phonics (SSP) Scheme ‘All Aboard Phonics’.
- We place reading at the heart of all we do using high quality texts to engage the children and promote a love of reading across the curriculum
- Pre and post learning tasks allow our children to recap previous learning and then celebrate what they have learnt
- Subjects are taught as individual disciplines, with English and Maths skills promoted across the curriculum
- Learning is chunked into small progressive steps that lead on from one another and feed into the following lessons
- The curriculum is carefully sequenced so that children make connections with previous learning and are well prepared for the next phase of their learning journey.
- Formative and summative assessments are used to identify and address gaps in learning and celebrate individual and whole class achievements
Our aim is to develop:
- Confident, articulate and fluent readers
- Effective communicators who can confidently use a range of subject specific vocabulary in context
- Children who grow spiritually and celebrate different faiths
- Knowledgeable children who can make connections between previous and current learning
- Happy and resilient children who can talk about their thoughts and feelings
- Individuals who are well prepared for the next stage of their education
If you require further information about the school curriculum, please contact the school office to arrange an appointment with Mrs Bloor, the Curriculum lead.
Click on the subjects below to view some of the enjoyable learning activities the children have been experiencing across the curriculum.